Our toilets often get the short end of the stick in the daily battle to keep our bathrooms smelling fresh and clean. We pump them full of toxic chemicals and hope for the best, not realizing that these products often end up in our waterways and septic systems. The effects? A whole lot of havoc for the environment.
We’ve been on the hunt for a perfect eco-friendly toilet cleaner. Our goal is to arm our readers with everything they need to do to make eco-conscious, healthy choices for their homes.
In this article, we’ll dive into everything you need to know to keep your toilet bowl sparkling without relying on toxic, chemical-filled toilet tank tablets.
A Quick Look At The Best Eco-Friendly & Non-Toxic Toilet Tank Tablets
- Best Overall: Blueland Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets | Skip to review
- Best For Ease-of-Use: Blueland Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets | Skip to review
- Best For A Lasting Clean: Tru Earth Eco-Strips Toilet Bowl Cleaner | Skip to review
- Best For Supporting Small Businesses: Mamasuds Toilet Bomb Cleaning Tabs | Skip to review
- Most Cost Effective: Lazy Coconuts Eco-Friendly Toilet Cleaning Strips | Skip to review
- Best Subscription Service: Blueland Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets | Skip to review
- Simplest Ingredients: Earth Love Toilet Cleaner Tablets | Skip to review
- Best For Quick Delivery: Lazy Coconuts Eco-Friendly Toilet Cleaning Strips | Skip to review
- Best For The Environment: Earth Love Toilet Cleaner Tablets | Skip to review
How We Chose The Best Non-Toxic Toilet Tank Tablets
Finding a clean product for your dirtiest space wasn’t easy, but we did all the serious scrubbing for you. As part of our search for sustainable cleaning products, we created some criteria for how we rank our recommendations.
We searched through dozens of choices to find out what toilet tank tablets were eco-friendly, non-toxic, and sustainable. We looked at their ingredient lists to make sure there wasn’t anything environmentally hazardous or biologically toxic. To find out what ingredients we screened for, you can skip down to the bottom of this article.
We also hunted for products that came in recyclable, zero waste, or otherwise sustainable packing. Believe us: this part wasn’t easy. Plenty of brands have their hearts in the right place when it comes to making safe toilet tank tablets, but when it comes to packaging, many fall short.
We prioritized brands that had compostable or recyclable packing, followed by brands that used recycled products for their packaging.
We then looked at customer reviews. We asked questions like:
- Did customers like the product?
- Did customers consider it a cost-effective method for cleaning their toilet tanks?
- Was the product easy to use?
- Was the brand responsive if there were problems?
Finally, we looked at each brand’s certifications. When it comes to finding how an eco-friendly brand compares to its competitors, certifications are a kind of gold standard for eco-consciousness. If you didn’t know, certifications come from third-party certifiers verifying vegan, organic, non-toxic products, and more.
Making thoughtful choices about how your cleaning products affect the environment shouldn’t be as hard as it is. We want to make that process as easy as possible for anyone who wants to clean up their cleaning products.
We also know that our readers have different needs. Because of that, we’ve tried to include products at a variety of price points, from different-sized companies, and with different ingredients. The result is a comprehensive look at some of the best natural, non-toxic, and eco-friendly toilet tablets on the market.
Our Full List Of Eco-Friendly Toilet Tank Tablets
Blueland Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets
- Price: $54 for 42 tablets (0.78 per tablet)
- Certifications include: Cradle to Cradle, EPA’s Safer Choice, EWG Verified, Leaping Bunny, Climate Neutral, USDA Biobased Product, B Corp, Made Safe
Blueland has become a top choice for anybody looking to reduce their plastic waste and exposure to toxic chemicals. Founded in 2019 by Sarah Paiji Yoo, Blueland’s entire purpose has been to bring affordable, sustainable choices to consumers who don’t skimp on quality and effectiveness.
Blueland’s approach to sustainable cleaning products, which is focused on the use of tablets, was a novelty when Blueland brought it to the market in 2019. Since then, they’ve dominated the sustainable cleaning market with dozens of products designed to be effective, reusable, and eco-friendly.
Blueland’s Toilet Bowl Cleaner Starter Set is a great way to try their products. With your first order, you’ll get 14 toilet cleaner tablets and a reusable tin to store them in. All of the ingredients in these eco-friendly toilet tablets are naturally derived, so you can feel good about what happens when you flush them.
In addition to their sustainable packaging, Blueland also offers a subscription service with a 10% discount. You can set your delivery frequency to however often you need your sustainable toilet tablets and skip deliveries if you’re all stocked up. This is an excellent way to skip the store and reduce impulse purchases that may not be great for the environment.
As far as sustainability goes, Blueland walks the walk. They have a lot of certifications for one brand. It’s kind of impressive. From being EWG Verified to Leaping Bunny certified, you can be certain Blueland has done the work of making its products consumer-friendly.
Tru Earth Eco-Strips Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Price: $24.95 for 24 strips (1.0395 per strip)
- Certifications include: B Corp
Tru Earth is another relative newcomer to the sustainable cleaning scene that’s made a big splash in how consumers approach cleaning. Their flagship product was the laundry detergent strip, Tru Earth’s answer to the issue of the massive plastic laundry jugs. (If you didn’t know, laundry jugs are a major source of emissions because they take up a ton of space when transported.)
Since 2019, when Tru Earth first launched their laundry strips, they’ve gone on to include all kinds of innovations, including their new toilet cleaning strips. These toilet cleaning strips are easy to use and store, and Tru Earth offers a subscription service with a 20% discount for repeating orders.
An important note on this one: this product contains an ingredient called ADBAC, an antimicrobial pesticide the EPA recognizes as “highly toxic to fish and very highly toxic to invertebrates.” Because of the nature of this product and the relatively low concentration of ADBAC, we still feel okay about recommending it as an alternative to conventional toilet cleaner tablets.
Since this has an antimicrobial agent, you’re likely to get a long-lasting clean.
Mamasuds Toilet Bomb Cleaning Tabs
- Price: $16.50 for 10 tablets (1.65 per tablet)
- Certifications include: EWG verified
MamaSuds is a woman-owned, small Michigan-based brand dedicated to helping moms (and everyone else) introduce clean products into their homes. Since 2011, founder Michelle Smith has devoted her time to researching, developing, and hand-making clean products you can feel great about using.
MamaSuds has a pretty robust product offering, including Castile soap, laundry detergent, and dishwasher powder. However, we honed in on this brand because of their toilet bombs: these extremely clean, extremely easy-to-use safe toilet tank tablets are the perfect solution to getting a sustainable clean that’s safe for your septic system and the planet’s waterways.
Made with just baking soda, citric acid, and essential oils, this is the perfect product for anyone looking to keep their cleaning products safe and environmentally friendly. These non-toxic toilet tablets can be used all over the house, so they’re also multifunctional. And the smell? Tea tree, peppermint, and lemon combine for the perfect, subtle clean scent.
Of the products on this list, MamaSuds are a little pricey, but don’t worry… they’ve got a solution for that! Their “misfits” are toilet tablets and powders that didn’t cut the bill. Rather than throwing them away (unsustainable), MamaSuds repackages them at a discount, reducing waste and making their products more affordable.
MamaSuds toilet bombs come in a reusable muslin bag, making this a great zero waste option, too!
Earth Love Toilet Cleaner Tablets
- Price: $6.25 for 12 tablets (0.52 per tablet)
- Certifications include: Not rated
This tiny Canadian-based brand has made waste-free, natural cleaning products their focus, and they’ve done an excellent job of prioritizing the planet’s needs while creating easy-to-use and consumer-friendly products. All of their products come as tablets in compostable packaging.
Using just baking soda, citric acid, and peppermint essential oil, these non-toxic toilet tank tablets are as simple as cleaning products can get. They’re also super affordable, so you don’t have to invest much to give these a try.
Lazy Coconuts Eco-friendly Toilet Cleaning Strips
- Price: $14.95 for 60 strips (0.2491 per strip)
- Carbon Offset: through The Gold Standard
- Certifications include: Not rated
Lazy Coconuts is a Delaware-based company looking to make sustainable cleaning products accessible to everyone at an affordable price. Through Clean Earth Collective and Gold Standard, Lazy Coconuts has become a carbon-negative brand with products in all the major categories, like tooth tabs and laundry strips.
This product contains sodium lauryl sulfate, which bloggers often recommend avoiding. We wanted to get our readers the facts on this, so we checked with the EPA and EWG. EWG rates it as a 1-2 in terms of safety, depending on its usage. The EPA believes this to be a well-researched ingredient, so they’ve deferred to the existing scientific literature on it and do not consider it to be dangerous. Our verdict? This is a safe ingredient for use in Lazy Coconuts’ toilet strips.
Comparing Non-Toxic Toilet Tank Tablets
|Our Pick For
Blueland Non-Toxic Toilet Bowl Cleaner Tablets
|$54 for 42 tablets (0.78 per tablet)
|Cradle to Cradle, EPA’s Safer Choice, EWG Verified, Leaping Bunny, Climate Neutral, USDA Biobased Product, B Corp, Made Safe
|Best Overall, Best For Ease-of-Use, Best Subscription Service
Tru Earth Eco-Strips Toilet Bowl Cleaner
|$24.95 for 24 strips (1.0395 per strip)
|Best For A Lasting Clean
Mamasuds Toilet Bomb Cleaning Tabs
|$16.50 for 10 tablets (1.65 per tablet)
|Best For Supporting Small Businesses
Earth Love Toilet Cleaner Tablets
|$6.25 for 12 tablets (0.52 per tablet)
|Simplest Ingredients, Best For The Environment
Lazy Coconuts Eco-Friendly Toilet Cleaning Strips
|$14.95 for 60 strips (0.2491 per strip)
|Most Cost Effective, Best For Quick Delivery
How Do Non-Toxic Toilet Tablets Work?
Non-toxic toilet tablets work by using natural or eco-friendly ingredients to clean and freshen your toilet. When you drop one in your toilet, most toilet tablets begin to fizz. This fizzing helps loosen the dirt and grime that’s probably ringing your toilet bowl.
The effervescence that makes eco-friendly toilet tablets so effective is usually the result of citric acid or baking soda. Both of these compounds are natural cleaning agents capable of breaking down mineral deposits, eliminating stains, and reducing odors. If you’ve ever made your own cleaning products, you’ve probably seen these ingredients before.
Non-toxic toilet tablets can also include natural deodorizers like essential oils or plant-based fragrances. These help neutralize odors and provide a fresh scent while you’re cleaning. Since you end up flushing the toilet once you’re done cleaning, the scent dissipates quickly.
Brands have also started making toilet cleaning strips. These are a recent addition to the sustainable cleaning marketplace, but they seem to be just as effective at making a filthy toilet look and smell fresh. Because they are such a compelling product and can be used in the same way as a traditional toilet tab, we’ve decided to include them in this article.
What To Look For In Eco-Friendly Toilet Tank Tablets
When you’re looking for an eco-friendly toilet tank tab, there are a few key characteristics you should focus on when searching through products. This list isn’t comprehensive, but we think it’s a great start.
- Non-toxic ingredients: this is a no-brainer, we know, but it’s worth mentioning. You totally can get toilet cleaning products that are non-toxic and biodegradable… you just need to know what chemicals to avoid.
- Biodegradability: try to make sure a tablet’s ingredients can break down naturally and quickly. This will help minimize their environmental impact when they enter the sewage system.
- Septic Tank Safe: Finding septic-safe products is important if your toilet doesn’t flush to the sewer. Maintaining a healthy ecosystem in your septic tank is extremely important; harsh chemicals can disrupt that environment.
- Certifications: brands can say a lot of stuff that doesn’t mean anything. Checking for third-party certifications is super important. Certifications like the EPA’s Safer Choice label, the Green Seal, or EWG Verified are some of the most popular, but there are tons out there.
- Packaging: in a perfect world, all eco-friendly products come in eco-friendly packaging. Try to avoid products that can’t be composted or recycled. By choosing eco-friendly toilet tank tablets with eco-conscious packaging, you help tell brands what matters most to consumers.
- Product Longevity: one issue that we sometimes run into with eco-conscious products is longevity. Without a lot of the synthetic additives, like preservatives, products can degrade over time. This shouldn’t deter you from purchasing them, but you should keep it in mind when buying in bulk.
- Price: sometimes, the cost of non-toxic, natural, and eco-friendly products can deter people who want to make an eco-conscious swap. This doesn’t have to be the case, though! As more and more people have become interested in sustainability, new brands have popped up at all kinds of price points. Being sustainable doesn’t have to be expensive.
What Ingredients To Avoid In Non-toxic Toilet Tank Tablets?
Because toilets have such a bad rap, many companies take a “more-is-better” approach to conventional toilet cleaning products. The result? Some of the most commonly available toilet cleaning products contain actively dangerous chemicals. Here are a few you should avoid:
- Hydrochloric acid: EWG considers this a dangerous ingredient because of its ability to cause skin irritation, allergic reactions, and damage… as in severe chemical burns. Ouch.
- Anionic surfactants: these are per and polyfluorinated chemicals. You might know them by their street name, “PFAS.” The EPA considers these concerning, so you should, too.
- Sodium hypochlorite: EWG gives this chemical a failing grade when it comes to safety. This ingredient is commonly used in over cleaners and drain openers… if you’ve ever used either of those products, you know how potent this can be. Sodium hypochlorite is very toxic to aquatic life and can cause severe burns and eye damage. For your toilet? No thanks.
- Boric acid: EWG rates this chemical very poorly due to its “clear evidence of endocrine disruption” and potential development damage to fetuses.
Using harsh chemicals isn’t just bad for you and the environment, either. If you have a septic system, using harsh chemicals can disrupt the microbiome of your tank. This can require a very costly fix.
Final Thoughts On Finding Safe Toilet Tank Tablets
Despite what many brands want you to believe, there is no perfect product. That applies even more to non-toxic and eco-friendly toilet tablets. When it comes to finding products that are safe for the environment and sustainable, you’ll probably have to make some trade-offs.
But those trade-offs, considering how precious our planet is, are a small price to pay if it means protecting the fragile ecosystems that are being disrupted and destroyed by human intervention.
If using a natural toilet cleaner tab means cleaning your toilet more regularly, we think that’s a pretty reasonable ask. In our experience, cleaning your toilet does not require chemicals that can actually burn holes in your skin. There’s also the issue of antibacterial products being overused, but that’s a whole other topic.
In short? Getting a clean toilet doesn’t require much. Sometimes, it’s enough to just scrub your toilet bowl or use a natural toilet brush. But when that isn’t enough (and we know it happens), there are plenty of natural, non-toxic, and safe alternatives to conventional toilet cleaning products.
As always, keep an eye out for products that contain ingredients you can pronounce. If you’re unsure, check with EWG. Their Guide to Healthy Cleaning is an excellent resource for anyone looking to make better consumer decisions. You can search for specific products or ingredients, so it’s a great way to find out if a product is safe or just seems safe.